Nizhoni - Native American Jewellery & Crafts
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

Native Americans Music and Dance
Mohawk and Medicine Wheels
Navajo Mountains, Meanings and Jewellery.....
New Smudge Feathers in time for Xmas
New Stock for Spring....

Categories

Beads.....the Native American Way
Dancing Otter Incense
Medicine
Native American Inspiration
Native American Music and Dance
Native American Stocking Fillers....
Navajo Mountains Meanings and Jewellery
New Ownership
New Stock!
Smudge Feathers
Smudge Sticks
Spring Time
Talking Feathers
Talking Sticks
Xmas Time
powered by

My Blog

Beads and Beading the Native American Way.......

Ghost bead necklaces created by the Navajos represent the connection between humans and nature.Ghost beads are actually dried juniper berries. The dried berries are strung together with beads to create what is called a ghost necklace. Ghost bead necklaces are believed to ward off evil spirits and negative energy, as well as protect the wearer  bringing peace and protection.

Juniper berries were known to the Shoshone Indians as "Sammapo." Washo Indians: "Paal." Paiute Indians: "Wapi." For rheumatism, the Native Americans put the green boughs of Juniper on the patient as he reclined, then they steamed the boughs and the patient drank tea from the leaves. They also used a tea from juniper berries, taken on 3 successive days, a cupful at a time, for birth control. Navajo often used them to treat illnesses such as diabetes. In addition to wearing juniper berry necklaces, the Navajos also smeared juniper ashes on their skin prior to venturing out in the dark, as they believed this would keep the spirits happy should they enter any ruins. In the home they sprinkled juniper ashes around the bed was thought to provide extra protection.

Another popular beading style uses the Peyote Stitch also known as the Gourd Stitch using Seed Beads.  Free form peyote stitching can be used to create beaded designs on many things ranging from handles, jewellery and intricate colourful designs on clothes, belts, medicine bags, pouches,the list is endless.

Pretty much any surface that can be stitched to can carry the amazing tiny seed bead designs and with stringing techniques the beads are cleverly used to make bead lace as shown in the keyring above. Check out the Nizhoni range here.

19 Comments to Beads and Beading the Native American Way.......:

Comments RSS
sheri dallman on 27 May 2014 07:35
I've always loved Indian beadwork.I grew up with the Umatilla tribe in Pendleton Oregon. In north eastern Oregon. Teach me how to know the beadwork you do, please contact me. I have so much respect for your powerful art work.

australian help review on 06 July 2018 11:42
When the things are going in a smooth the things are surely easy for everyone to manage at the mean time. For the rest of the details about the latest trend I was willing to read more of the further posts.

best dissertation writing servic on 20 July 2018 09:01
good
Reply to comment

how to get robux for free on 23 July 2018 04:55
Hey guys if you are a gamer and want more and more robux for free online then must try my link to get lots of robux for free.

on 05 March 2019 07:11
We think we are going to share the moment in eleven light bulbs to ensure that unprepared people are not disappointed again and again.

free xbox codes no survey on 05 March 2019 07:16
get so many new offers from this website. if you want to get new kind of xbox game please install the the xbox software.

Lisa on 17 September 2019 12:51
A very mystical and bewitching blog. I look forward to your stories. I want to recommend my site https://philosophyessays.net we are helping students write super relevant fast and high-quality texts at any time of the day.

alex on 22 September 2019 22:51

awawf on 29 October 2019 05:23
High end line of Yamaha acoustic guitars which features acoustic guitar amazon

acoustic guitar amazon on 01 November 2019 09:54
High end line of Yamaha acoustic guitars which features

192.168.l.l on 25 December 2019 09:25
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. To know How to Login to 192.168.1.1, welcome go to link 192.168.l.l

test on 03 March 2020 05:51
testing

leptitox coupon code on 27 March 2020 05:12
I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon…

yoga burn coupon code on 27 March 2020 05:12
Security is simply too smart and their leadership and coming up with has gone tiny scale and restricted to in-country attacks on innocent individuals in bazaars.

top microwave convection oven on 18 May 2020 12:44
Convection (from the Latin convectio - "wafture") is a means of heat exchange in which the air flows

Kathleen J. Stuart on 25 July 2020 11:09
Are you familiar with the term philanthropy? Philanthropy is the act of helping and supporting others. Donations can range from clothing, food, money, and through other charitable actions. Further, acts of philanthropy can be practiced by people or by businesses, big or small CLIK HERE.

pospoyefyu on 11 August 2020 18:31
I am thanksful for you guys for your great ideas and good content article you guys writng this article very well and i spend my free time to read this article great effort guys. https://thetechtrending.com https://trendingwithmedia.com/

amway case study help on 14 October 2020 09:41
It is seen that two-thirds of students look for amway case study help from reputed service providers. There is a good demand for this service as students struggle to cope with the troubles of writing the papers. The students only need to say “please write my case study", and the service providers are ready to help on all required subjects and all topics. The papers meet the student's requirements accurately, and this helps them to score the best grades. However, there are some students who are always keen to write their papers, and so they ask how to write a case study. This is in a way good because it helps togain knowledge and confidence for further writing. You can get case study assignment sample from myassignmenthelp.

madalin stunt cars 2 on 26 October 2020 10:02
It was an exciting video to watch and celebrate on the mean time while you are watching it for the first time. If you are having more like these videos to watch on this website I am willing to see them here.